For whatever reason, probably because I do iPhone development and am always installing “stuff” on my computer and iOS devices, I’ve run into the dreaded iTunes 3014 error consistently when trying to restore my iPhone/iPad to put a new OS on it. I swear I tried this before and it didn’t work but I just followed the steps below and everything is updating nicely. iOS 9 GM!
- Open Terminal and cd to the /etc folder.
- Using your editor of choice, mine is nano, open the hosts file (
sudo nano hosts).
- Enter your password.
- Add the following line to the bottom of the file:
- Write out/save the hosts file and exit (ctrl-O then ctrl-X for nano).
- Finally, flush the DNS cache with this command:
- All done!